William R. Devine is a partner in our Orange County office whose practice focuses on the land use, environmental and natural resources aspects of land development. He assists residential and commercial developers, land owners, energy and water providers, hospitals, universities, and other public and commercial interests in a wide range of acquisition, entitlement and permitting issues. Bill regularly represents clients before local, state and federal administrative bodies, as well as in preparing for litigation.
Bill's wide-ranging experience includes land acquisition due diligence, CEQA/NEPA compliance, endangered species, wetlands, climate change issues, coastal law, planning and zoning, water quality, water supply and rights, vested development rights, annexation, initiatives and referendums, subdivision mapping, redevelopment, affordable housing, renewable energy, and Native American law.
Bill is a frequent speaker on topics related to CEQA, habitat conservation planning under the Endangered Species Act, water supply and rights, climate change and land use, renewable energy facility permitting, sustainable development, and wetlands mitigation permitting.
Prior to joining Allen Matkins, Bill was a partner at a prominent, full-service law firm. His past experience also includes a position at the Solicitor's Office of the U.S. Department of Interior in Portland, Oregon, and Sacramento, California, where he represented the Department and its agencies on a broad range of matters involving water rights, environmental cleanup, energy facility siting, endangered species, wetlands, NEPA compliance, and Native American affairs.
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
- Colorado State Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Building Industry Legal Defense Foundation (BILD), Board of Directors
- BIA, Orange County Chapter, Board of Directors
- Urban Land Institute (ULI): Orange County District Council, Chair (2005-2007); Council's Sustainable Development Committee, Chair (2008-2009)
- ULI Orange County Sustainable Communities Council
- National ULI Sustainable Development Council
- American Council on Renewable Energy
- Solar-Electric Power Association
- American Wind Energy Association
- Selected for inclusion in Southern California Supers Lawyers (2004, 2009 - 2013)
- Selected for inclusion in The Top 50 Orange County list by Super Lawyers (2012)
Bill received his J.D., cum laude, from J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University in 1981, as well as his M.S. in 1978. He also received Certificates of Specialization in Environmental Law and Natural Resources Law from the University of Oregon Law School in 1980. Bill received a B.S. in 1974 from California State Polytechnic University.