Heather S. Riley is senior counsel in our San Diego office, where her practice involves a variety of land use and environmental matters, with a particular emphasis on writ litigation. She has extensive experience with the California Environmental Quality Act. Heather has defended numerous private clients and public entities in land use and environmental actions in both state and federal courts.
Heather's other practice areas include water law and endangered species law. She has experience with large and small-scale residential, commercial, mixed-use, and educational development and redevelopment projects across Southern California. She assists developers and public agencies with projects from the initial planning stage to permitting and environmental review, and through litigation, if necessary. She has prepared and reviewed environmental impact reports and statements in the land use and aviation fields.
- State Bar of California: Civil Litigation Section; Environmental Law Section, former co-author Environmental Law Update
- San Diego County Bar Association: Board of Directors, 2013-2015; Environmental & Land Use Section, 2011 chair, Civil Litigation Section; Construction Law Section, Real Property Section; Conference of California Bar Associations Committee, 2008 Chair; Judicial Election Evaluation Committee
- Lawyers' Club of San Diego: 2011 Political Boot Camp Planning Committee; Annual Spring and Halloween Read-In Participant
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Building Industry Association of San Diego County: (build)sd PAC, 2013 Board of Directors and Chief Operating Officer; Young Generation of Leaders (yGen) Council, 2009-2011 Board of Directors
- Run Women Run, San Diego
- Allen Matkins Community Outreach Committee
- Rachel's Women's Center in San Diego: Advisory Board Member
- Girl Scouts of San Diego: In Her Shoes Career Exploration Program Volunteer
- Named to the SD Metro's 40 Under 40 (2013)
- Recognized as the Best Builder Associate of the Year by the Building Industry Association of San Diego County (2011)
- SDCBA Bar Stars Award, recognizing more than 50 hours of volunteer service
Heather received her J.D., cum laude, from Albany Law School of Union University where she was on the dean's list and on scholarship for academic excellence. She received her B.A., magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from the State University of New York, University at Albany.