Allen Matkins attorneys counsel nonprofit organizations in all aspects of their activities, including special issues that impact tax-exempt entities as well as non-tax issues affecting them. Often serving in an outside general counsel role, we add particular value by understanding our clients’ missions and bringing practical solutions to the challenges that face them. We also advise on labor and employment, intellectual property, business, contract and litigation matters.
In addition to normal day-to-day activities, we routinely advise nonprofit clients on:
- Excess benefit transaction issues
- Governance matters
- Fiduciary responsibilities
- Conflicts of interest
- Taxable unrelated business activities
- Compliance with the California Nonprofit Integrity Act
- Sarbanes Oxley and “best practices”
- Bylaws and committee charters
- Role of the board and delegation of authority
- Whistleblower, document retention and ethics policies
- Obtaining the rebuttable presumption for executive compensation
- Tax-exempt offerings
In addition to the professional services we provide to nonprofit clients, our attorneys and staff serve on numerous boards of nonprofit organizations.