David D. Cooke is a partner in the Litigation Department of our San Francisco office. His practice is concentrated primarily in environmental litigation and environmental regulatory and transactional counseling, with a particular focus on hazardous waste and contaminated property disputes (including federal and state statutory or common law enforcement, contribution, cost recovery, and natural resource damage actions); counseling and negotiations involving the investigation, remediation, disposition and re-use of contaminated properties, groundwater and surface water bodies; regulatory, permitting and enforcement issues and actions arising under the Clean Water Act and related state laws; land use and litigation matters under CEQA and NEPA; counseling and regulatory compliance problems under RCRA and the California hazardous waste laws; permitting and variance matters, enforcement actions, and citizen suits under the Federal Clean Air Act and state air quality laws; transportation planning and air quality litigation under the Federal Clean Air Act; compliance and enforcement matters involving hazardous materials management and release reporting; and environmental insurance and policyholder-side environmental insurance coverage litigation. David’s environmental litigation practice encompasses all phases of litigation, through trial and appeal.
David's practice also includes general commercial and business litigation, often involving real property-related disputes. In addition, his litigation and counseling experience includes a wide range of matters involving such diverse areas as eminent domain, trademark and copyright, admiralty law, construction defects, defamation, personal injury, and prison conditions law.
Prior to joining Allen Matkins in 2000, David was a partner at Beveridge & Diamond LLP in San Francisco. He began his legal career with Brobeck Phleger & Harrison, also in San Francisco, where he became a partner in 1988.
David is a founding director of Episcopal Community Services of San Francisco, Inc. (ECS), which provides shelter and support services for homeless and impoverished individuals and families in San Francisco, and he is particularly active in the development and oversight of its innovative supportive housing programs.
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- California Bar, Environmental Law Section
- Recognized by Chambers USA as one of the Leading Lawyers in California in Environmental Law (2011 - 2016)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of Environmental Law and Litigation - Environmental (2013 - 2016)
- Selected for inclusion in Northern California Super Lawyers (2008 - 2016)
- Selected for inclusion as a Top 100 lawyer in Northern California by Super Lawyers (2009, 2010)
David received his B.A., with highest distinction, from the University of Virginia in 1977, and his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1980.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit