Timothy M. Hutter is a senior counsel in our San Diego office, where he practices in the firm's Litigation group. Tim's practice focuses primarily on business and real estate disputes, including contract, construction, joint venture, entitlement, land use and landlord/tenant litigation. Many of his projects and cases involve residential and mixed-use projects, and several invoke California's density bonus law to incorporate and develop affordable housing. Tim also handles cases on appeal, and has successfully represented clients in the California Court of Appeal and the California Supreme Court.
In 2012, Tim went to trial in the pro bono representation of a client seeking damages for violation of his civil rights pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 1983 and was recognized for his efforts by the Chief Judge of the United States District Court, Southern District of California.
- City of San Diego's Historical Resources Board (appointed by Mayor Kevin Faulconer and confirmed by City Council in July 2016)
- Build San Diego PAC, Board member 2015-2017, Chair 2017
- Building Industry Association (BIA), y|GEN Board member 2013-2017
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), San Diego/Tijuana Chapter Residential Council 2015-2017
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California's Pro Bono Panel
- Allen Matkins Community Outreach Committee
- St. Michael's Catholic Church, Poway, California
- Yale Latino Alumni Association, Member of Latino Alumni Prize Committee
- Yale Club of San Diego, member
- Yale Alumni Schools Committee, member
- UCLA Real Estate Law Association, Student Mentor
- Building Industry Association of San Diego Icon Award Winner – BIA Associate of the Year (2016)
- Building Industry Association of San Diego Icon Award Finalist – BIA Associate of the Year (2015)
- Building Industry Association of San Diego Icon Award Winner – Rookie of the Year (2014)
- Featured as Rising Star of the Month in the February 2014 edition of the Attorney Journal, San Diego edition
- Finalist for the San Diego Business Journal's 2013 and 2014 Emerging Generation Awards (25 in their 20s)
- Named to the The Daily Transcript's Young Attorneys 2012
Tim received a B.A. in political science from Yale University. While at Yale, he was awarded the Samantha Landau Beggs Prize in 2003 and the Reginald L. Tucker Prize in 2006. Both awards recognized Tim for his leadership and contributions to his college community.
Tim received his J.D. from the UCLA School of Law. During law school, Tim worked as a law clerk for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office and volunteered with the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles.
- All California State Courts
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California