Emily Lane Murray is a partner in our Los Angeles office whose practice focuses on environmental litigation and land use law.
Emily's litigation practice includes federal and state court litigation of environmental claims related to land use, water quality, air quality, and hazardous materials brought under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA), the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act. Emily has significant appellate experience in environmental matters. She also represents clients before federal, state, and local agencies in connection with permitting and enforcement actions.
Emily's land use practice includes the representation of private and public sector clients in matters pertaining to the securing of land use entitlements and environmental compliance. Emily has significant experience in the preparation of environmental review documents under CEQA and NEPA for complex development projects throughout California. Emily also has extensive experience representing clients seeking to protect their confidential information from disclosure or to obtain information from government entities pursuant to the California Public Records Act (CPRA) and the federal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
Emily chairs the firm's Pro Bono Committee, and participates in pro bono matters in conjunction with Los Angeles Public Counsel and The Alliance for Children’s Rights. She is also a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee and the Los Angeles office Recruiting Committee.
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- American Bar Association's Environmental and Energy Group
- Association of Women in Water, Energy & Environment (AWWEE)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Los Angeles Program Committee and Women's Leader Initiative, Liaison Subcommittee
- Western Justice Center, Board of Directors
Emily received her J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School, cum laude, in 2002. She received her B.A. in biology and society from Cornell University in 1998 with a concentration in environment, law, and society. Emily attended preparatory school at St. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- All California state courts