Mark J. Seifert is senior counsel in the San Francisco office. Mark's practice focuses on business and real estate litigation. He has experience in matters involving commercial lease disputes, contract, business torts, California's Unfair Competition Law (Bus. & Prof. Code § 17200), inverse condemnation, quiet title, insurance, partnership and LLC disputes, mortgage fraud, foreclosure disputes, class actions, constructions defects, trade secrets, and employment disputes. Mark's litigation experience includes first-chair trial and arbitration experience, dispositive motions, all forms of discovery, and settlement negotiations. He also has experience with a number of federal and state appellate matters, including cases before the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Mark is a member of the firm's pro bono committee. Mark’s pro bono practice focuses on representing indigent tenants in eviction cases.
Notable representations have included the following:
- Representing owners and tenants of commercial property such as office towers, hotels, shopping centers, warehouses and industrial property, in a broad array of disputes including unlawful detainer actions (many of which have proceeded to judgment and eviction), maintenance and restoration disputes, and rent disputes.
- Representing several property owners and business owners in disputes with the City and County of San Francisco arising out of the City’s Central Subway Project.
- Representing property owners in title insurance and quite title disputes.
- Representing companies in disputes with equipment vendors, suppliers and contractors.
- Representing property owners in construction defect and design defect disputes.
- Defending Unfair Competition Law cases asserted by private plaintiffs and district attorneys.
Prior to joining Allen Matkins, Mark was a litigation associate at Latham & Watkins LLP. Mark clerked for the Honorable Manuel Real of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, and the Honorable Melvin Brunetti of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- State Bar of California, Real Property Section, Chair of Real Estate Litigation Subsection
- State Bar of California, Litigation Section
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- U.C. Hastings College of the Law, Alumni Mentor
- Selected for inclusion in Northern California Super Lawyers - Rising Star edition for business litigation (2009 - 2013)
Mark received his B.A. from the University of California, Berkeley. He received his J.D., cum laude, from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, where he was a member of the Thurston Society and editor in chief of the Hastings International and Comparative Law Review.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court