Jeffrey A. Chine, a partner in the firm's San Diego office, specializes in a wide variety of land use and environmental matters involving the permitting and development of complex residential, mixed-use, commercial, industrial, energy, and redevelopment projects throughout California. He also represents developers in state and federal courts against environmental groups and opponents of development in CEQA, NEPA, Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act, Subdivision Map Act, Coastal Act and other challenges to entitlements.
Jeff acts as General Counsel for the Building Industry Association of San Diego County and chairs its Legal Action Committee. He specializes in emerging regulatory issues facing development in California, including water supply, climate change, and stormwater regulation. He frequently lectures to lawyers and professionals on land use and planning issues, and is a contributing author to Continuing Education of the Bar treatises on the Subdivision Map Act and Land Use Litigation. He has also taught CEQA to Superior Court Judges and Appellate Justices at the California Judicial College.
Before joining Allen Matkins, he was a partner and Chairman of the Real Estate Department of Luce Forward Hamilton & Scripps, where he practiced for 20 years.
- Building Industry Association of San Diego
- Building Industry Association of San Diego Icon Award Winner – BIA Industry Professional of the Year (2016)
- Named to San Diego Metro’s 2016 “Best Attorneys is San Diego”
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in California Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use in Chambers & Partners USA (2013 - 2016)
- Best Lawyers' San Diego Real Estate Law "Lawyer of the Year" (2014)
- Best Lawyers' San Diego Land Use & Zoning Law "Lawyer of the Year" (2013)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of Land Use & Zoning Law, and Real Estate (2008 - 2017)
- Named to the The Daily Transcript's Top Attorneys list (2007 - 2014)
- Regularly recognized by Super Lawyers based on peer recognition and professional achievement
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® rating
- Named to the The Daily Transcript's Top Influentials (2009)
- Received the San Diego Building Industry Association’s 2009 President’s Award for “Outstanding Service and Contributions to the Industry”
Jeff received his J.D. from UCLA Law School, where he was editor of Journal of Environmental Law & Policy, and his B.A., with high honors, from University of California, Santa Barbara.